Extension of Community Healthcare Outcomes (ECHO)
To build capacity through a virtual community of practice for health care providers in Ontario that will increase access to specialist healthcare, improve patient outcomes, and create health equity.
University Health Network
How ECHO Works
ECHO links an expert interprofessional “hub” teams with primary care providers via weekly videoconferencing sessions.
Before the session:
- Receive an e-agenda email the day prior to the session. It contains a link to connect to the session and resources.
- Verify you have access to appropriate equipment to participate (stable internet connection, computer, webcam & microphone or smart phone).
During the session:
- A short didactic presented by a content expert.
- Real de-identified patient case discussion.
After the session:
- Complete a weekly feedback survey to improve future experiences.
- Modify patient care based on clinical pearls from the sessions.
- Receive CPD certificate at the end of each cycle.
Learning with ECHO
- Best practice and evidence based guidelines are discussed by content experts.
- Participants gain practical and relevant advice to best care for their patients by collaborating with the inter-professional team and other participants.
- Interactive learning has proven to help learners retain information and develop their high level skills, such as critical thinking.